Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ramblings - The Lord is My Shepherd



Last Tuesday my daughter Alexis and I were serving at the children's feeding center at Mt. Sinai Church. I was downstairs with the children listening to the pre-meal Bible lesson. This is great practice for my Spanish because they tend to speak slowly and don't use big words. The lesson started with the children reciting Psalm 23.

I've heard Psalm 23 recited more times than I can remember. I've studied, taught, and preached on this passage, and like most of the children at the feeding center, I can recite it from memory. This is a great Psalm to remind us of the blessings, provision, and protection we have through our Lord Jesus Christ. However, as soon as they finished the first line I realized this Psalm may mean something different to these children.

"The lord is my shepherd I shall not be in want...to me the entire Psalm sounded like a blaring contradiction to the environment in which these children exist. I wondered how in the world could these children recite this and really believe it, then I realized something rather profound...which for me doesn't happen often. Never been accused of being the sharpest knife in the drawer.
The fact that I was sitting in a feeding center in Costa Rica, inside a small community church, listening to children recite Psalm 23, before eating a free meal was proof of God's provision and blessing. The fact that many of these unchurched children are being taught to trust and follow the Good Shepherd, who promises to never leave them of forsake them, is part of "God's guiding in righteousness". The fact they are getting a meal shows that He has "prepared a table before them". The fact that He has provided a loving pastor and church full of caring adults that have created a safe environment "so they fear no evil".

I'm not claiming that because of this ministry their lives are now perfect. They still live in poverty, in broken homes, in a dangerous neighborhood. By no means are their lives perfect. However, God's work through this ministry they may see some real examples of His provision and protection in their lives. Maybe they will learn to trust in God more and more with each feeding and start to see that God really is as great as He claims to be throughout His word.
So be encouraged and excited about what is happening here in Costa Rica. I challenge you to go and read Psalm 23 and look for ways that God provides and blesses you everyday. If that isn't enough to excite you, be excited that God is taking your offerings of prayer and support and using them to change lives here in Costa Rica!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.