Friday, November 10, 2006

Ramblings - Language Training


I haven't received the key to the city, but I have received a key to the city's library. Once again God has surprised me in the way He is working through us here in Costa Rica. During one of my weekly meetings with the mayor of Alajuelita, God revealed a new opportunity for ministry. The mayor asked me to consider using the library to conduct free English lessons to the community. I've prayed about it and accepted the responsibility.


This is interesting because as you know, I have not yet mastered the English language. I love to teach and preach, but I've never taught English. I feel confident teaching the basics - like the alphabet, but beyond that I'm trusting Him to help me do the rest. Please pray for me, my 67 students, and the success of this ESL ministry. Join me in praying that these classes will open many doors in the community to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.


It's interesting that right now I'm learning a new language myself. It is very challenging, but extremely rewarding as I'm able to put into practice what I'm learning. I'm very pleased with my progress and proud with the fact I'm carrying an "A" average in each of my classes. I'm starting to understand a good bit, but I struggle with formulating sentences and conjugating verbs fluidly. So, I walk the streets practicing my Spanish with my friends, and butcher the language daily. The locals are very patient and claim to be impressed with my progress, but I suspect they are just being nice.


God is also helping me become more fluent in another language. This is the language of love; which according to the Apostle Paul never fails, always hopes, and always protects. Love is often spoken loudest through deeds, or as St. Francis said "Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words." I've come to realize that learning to love is similar to learning Spanish. It doesn't come naturally and requires a lot of work and practice. I've come to realize that by nature I'm not a very loving person, and for most of you this is not a great, new, revelation. I mean it's easy for me to love the loveable people, such as my family, friends, and neighbors; or anyone that can offer something in return. However, I struggle in loving people that smell bad, live offensive and immoral lifestyles, and have nothing to offer in return.


I've come to realize that I honor God when I love without needing love in return. It's exciting and freeing to give love with reckless abandon. I'm getting better as I learn that I don't need a person to love me in return. It's nice to be loved, but I don't need their love to love them all I can. So, I encourage you "Live to love, and love to live!" Join me in finding practical ways to practice unselfish love, and I suspect you'll find a new excitement to living as I have.


Finally, I've enclosed a passage of scripture for your personal reflection. My prayer is that God speaks to you through it as He has with me. I love and miss you all very much. Thank you for all your prayers and support, and may God richly bless you with overflowing love.


(1 Corinthians 13:1-13) "1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

No comments: